Thursday, October 25, 2018

Transcendental Meditation ...

A couple of years ago, I attended an introductory talk on transcendental meditation on Madison Avenue in NYC. Having grown up with a brother who read Carlos Castenada and spoke about reaching enlightenment as one of his primary goals, I already knew TM would be important and a right fit for my life and experience. One of the many valuable lessons I received in conversations with my brilliant brother Orlando was that with awareness and a spiritual practice, intuition develops. After the TM intro, which seemed very familiar as if I had already heard everything the TM teacher was saying, I watched Jerry Seinfeld do standup. I watched him and thought he seemed unperturbed by everything. I looked at his face and felt a need to know what the mechanism was underneath this calm. And I looked him up on YouTube and found out he had been practicing TM for almost 40 years. I went to the training on September 23rd and it was very simple; the training lasted 4 days. I received my mantra and have continued to do two daily 20-minute meditation sessions. I have only missed 2 afternoon sessions since 9/23/18. TM has made me feel calmer and the increased awareness gleaned from this practice has helped me prioritize daily actions in order to finish projects and each meditation session feels like a restful swim into my subconscious where I’m allowed to bring small gems to the surface to examine. I feel rested, energized and excited to do the most menial tasks. It is hard to describe but I will keep trying. After a TM session, I feel myself as an integral part of a whole and the irritating details of quotidian life no longer grate. The nerves are happy and flexible.

No comments:

Post a Comment